It’s been two big months. The pleasant processes you will spend with your baby are about to begin. Because now he will officially know you, smile and scream, discovering your hands and hitting them together will be his greatest happiness. If you’re ready, start reading 3-month-old baby development!
3 Months Baby Development Chart
“How much should a 3-month-old baby weigh?”, “How much should a 3-month-old baby grow?” Answers to such questions can be found in the table below!
|Girl (average)||Male (average)|
|3 month old baby weight||5.5 kg||6 kg|
|3 month old baby size||59cm||61cm|
|3 month old baby head circumference||39.5cm||40.5 cm|
- Your 3-month-old baby continues to develop as it did in the previous month.
- It gains about 750 grams of weight and grows up to 2 cm.
- In this process, the baby may look very chubby. But don’t be afraid, this chubbiness will gradually disappear as you start to crawl and walk in the coming months.
Sensory Development of 3 Month Old Baby
3 Month Old Baby’s Vision
Your baby’s eyesight is developing rapidly. “How does a 3-month-old baby see?” If you are asking, we can say that he will see the world the same way you see the world after a few months.
- In the third month, the baby can turn both eyes inward to focus on a near object and outward to see a distant object.
- He now sees far and can recognize you even if there is some distance in between.
- Gradually can recognize colors. Main colors are particularly interesting.
- If you notice a condition such as strabismus or strabismus in your baby’s eye this month, we recommend that you consult your doctor as soon as possible.
3 Month Old Baby’s Hearing Ability
Your baby’s hearing is well developed. He can now become excited or quiet about the sounds he recognizes. When there is a sound that he does not recognize, he may turn to the side where the sound came from and try to find its source.
Taste and Smell Ability of 3-month-old Baby
- Towards the end of this month, your baby begins to distinguish between different tastes.
- She can understand the difference between breast milk and formula and react to it.
- If you are using a new formula, he may understand that it is a foreign food.
- There may be odors you don’t like.
- All of these can also affect your baby’s nutritional choices.
Mental Development of 3-month-old Baby
Your baby will begin to move consciously during this month. He will raise his hands in the air to examine them or willingly try to reach for toys. All of these underlie the development of motor skills, thinking, reasoning and planning skills.
In this process, memories and experiences begin to form in the baby’s brain. Memory paths are formed by repeated actions. For example, he knows that when he cries, you will be attracted to him, or when he laughs, he will respond with a smile.
Social Development of 3 Month Old Baby
The sounds and facial expressions of the 3-month-old baby increase. He grunts, screams, chirps, sticks out his tongue, smiles and tries to have a conversation with you in these ways. In such a situation, try to accompany him. “What does a 3-month-old baby like?” If you ask him, we can say that he loves to see the actions he displays for you.
Now he knows you and his father very well, and he has no fear of strangers yet. But bear in mind that after a few months he may not want to break up with you and may not be cute to strangers.
In this month, the baby may cry not only to express his need or emotion, but also to attract attention. “Why does a 3-month-old baby cry?” If you’re curious, don’t forget that one of the reasons is to get attention!
What Does a 3-Month-Old Baby Do?
- Your 3-month-old baby’s movements will progress faster than in previous months. He can now hold his head upright, with better control, and even lift it up to 45 degrees. That is, “Can a 3-month-old baby hold his head?” We can answer yes to the question.
- Although it is only months before he can walk, he can step on the ground with all his strength when he is kept upright on his feet. But of course, don’t be in a hurry, it won’t work this month either. It’s just a reflex!
- Brain development in babies shows a noticeable increase this month, almost as if it has progressed suddenly. He will now be more in tune with the real world and sensitive enough to pay attention to what is going on around him. He may even look directly at you and try to respond, especially when he hears your voice.
- By the third month, he will be aware of his hands. In the month of reviewing them not in fists, but with almost all fingers spread! This month, he will be able to examine his own hands, especially when he is lying down, to learn that he makes a sound by hitting both hands, to laugh at this with joy and to be able to clasp both hands. In fact, towards the end of this month, he will learn that those hands can be used to touch and move toys.
- It will also happen in this month that he realizes that his hands are used to hold something and starts to shake the objects he is holding. In fact, it’s only a matter of time before he learns that when he moves—especially sound toys—it makes a sound. Once you know that, it won’t be easy to take that toy away from you. The 3rd month will continue with him taking everything he has to his mouth. In fact, “Why does a 3-month-old baby put his hand in his mouth?” There might be a problem as well. His answer is very simple, he tries to know everything with his mouth!
- The happiest development of this month will be that he will now be able to clearly distinguish his relatives. He will treat you and your partner differently, he will recognize you right away, he will laugh more and cry less, and he will not want to be alone. As you can see, 3-month-old baby behavior is gradually changing!
- Meanwhile, the baby will enter the growth spurt period in the 3rd month. This process may be a little difficult for you. We recommend that you read our article to easily overcome it.
What Can Your Baby Do At The End Of The 3rd Month?
As time progresses, our list of what your baby can do is changing!
- Miracle! At the end of this month, your baby will cry less and laugh more. Because it develops a relationship with the outside world.
- It rolls on both the bed and the play mat. But don’t leave small pieces on the play mat now that it puts everything in your mouth! Be sure to check out these.
- To see a slowly moving object, it turns its head in that direction and can follow an object close to its face 180 degrees.
- His reaction to strangers is revealed at the end of this month. When someone he doesn’t know takes him in his arms, he first examines him and starts to cry when he realizes that he does not know.
3 Month Old Baby Toys
Toys are very important for the development of a 3-month-old baby! Because in this period when the baby watches the environment well, wants to have fun and is open to the end of his perceptions, toys are very useful for both the development of motor skills and having a pleasant time!
We have said that his interest in sounds and colors has increased. Toys with these features will be useful. Let’s see what 3-month-old baby plays with?
- The rattle is a suitable toy for your 3 month old baby. Its sound will encourage your baby to play with it. As soon as he realizes that it makes a sound when shaken, you can be sure that it will be one of his favorite toys. With this toy, both fine motor skills will develop and hand-eye coordination will be strengthened.
- You can meet your baby’s interest in moving and colorful objects with finger puppets. Put these puppets on your finger and put on little shows for your baby! Don’t forget to choose from interesting colors!
- You can support your baby’s tactile development this month. You can give him soft but different textured toys and tell him what they are. At this point, we can make a recommendation for the selection of 3-month-old baby toys . Some baby books contain instructional fabrics in soft, hard and fluffy materials; You can take them from them and tactilely let your baby learn these textures.
- With an unbreakable mirror, you can show him yourself and introduce his eyes, nose, mouth. Of course, he will not realize that the mirror is yet himself; but you can still be sure to note the presence of nose, mouth, and eyes somewhere in your brain. Even if it is not you, as soon as you catch that mirror, you will examine yourself with pleasure and watch your reflection by making sounds.
What should I do for my baby’s development?
The answer to this question will always be of interest. In the 3rd month, just like the previous months, you should pay attention to your baby’s development. Of course, along with the same attention each month, you must also embrace an ever-increasing teaching process.
- First of all, you should consider the toy suggestions we have given above and contribute to both physical and mental development.
- In the third month, we explain what you will most like to do for your baby’s development. Give him kisses! You can gently massage your baby and place kisses on his nose and shoulder so that he always feels your attention and love.
- Baby massage will be a great method for both relaxation and gas. For an easy baby massage, after washing your baby, you can warm a baby oil of your choice in your hand and apply it to your arms, legs and belly in small massages. We even recommend that you turn on some relaxing music while doing this. Before starting the massage, you should check that the environment is warm enough not to make him sick.
- You can gauge his reaction to make him happy. If you don’t like it, you should try another oil or massage it with different movements. If he still gets restless, you can leave the massage for a few months.
How should 3-month-old baby be fed?
A 3-month-old baby’s diet is usually stable. He wakes up at about the same time, sucks, stays awake for a short time, then sleeps and wakes up again, sucks and then takes a midday nap. After waking from a noon nap, he will stay awake for a longer period of time until the evening. This is usually the case at 3 months for most babies.
How Many Hours Should a 3 Month Old Baby Be Breastfeeding?
Breastfeeding every 3 hours is ideal for three-month-old babies, but you can breastfeed more often if your baby is not getting enough.
You should still continue with breast milk or follow-on milk (formula). You have a few more months to switch to solid food, don’t be in a hurry. If there are situations where your milk is not enough, you can supplement with follow-on milk, but don’t decide for yourself. Just like we suggested in the 2nd month, you should wait for your doctor’s advice.
Breastfeeding and Breast Pump Use
- If you’re a working mom and need to be back at work soon, it’s time to use a bottle. If you are going to start work at the beginning of the fifth month, you should start giving breast milk with a bottle in the middle of the 3rd month at the latest. Of course you have to make sure you have enough milk.
- The reason we recommend switching to a bottle so early is to get your baby used to the bottle! However, in order not to reduce the bond between mother and baby, you should not do all feeding with a bottle, and you should continue breastfeeding.
- To be able to bottle-feed your baby, you should buy a breast pump. If you haven’t bought one yet, you should start looking into electric or manual breast pumps.
3-Month Baby Nutrition: Things to Consider
- If your baby’s feeding is still not settled, you should try to establish a feeding pattern this month.
- You should start gradually extending the breastfeeding interval. For this, our recommendation is that you reduce night feedings gradually. To make him fall asleep longer, 3-month-old baby night feeding , no longer 3-4 times; It should only happen 1-2 times. But make sure you’re not hungry either. If your baby falls asleep while nursing, you should burp and breastfeed again before you doze off. Thus, you can sleep more soundly.
- In fact, you should make sure that you are well fed during the day to breastfeed less at night. He must be full during the day.
- Now that it’s time to wake up every 2 hours and breastfeed, you should feed your baby at longer intervals. Of course, not all of a sudden; You have to do it slowly by opening up. For example, you can extend the feeding interval by adding half an hour to the breastfeeding interval every day.
- Your baby may refuse the breast at once this month. The reasons for this include baby reflux, allergies and many more conditions such as your diet. “Why does a 3-month-old baby not want to breastfeed?” If you say “My baby is not breastfeeding” to find the answer to your question, you can refer to our article.
- You should take care to eat a balanced diet and take enough fluids for your baby.
- Adjustments to your baby’s diet may cause changes in the excretory system. If there is no other underlying problem and the baby’s bowel movements are not accompanied by symptoms such as fever and vomiting, “Why does a 3-month-old baby have diarrhea?”, “Why does a 3-month-old baby not poop?” The answer to their questions is changes in their diet.
Why Does a 3 Month Old Baby Vomit?
A white and lumpy substance may come from your baby’s mouth after feeding. This situation is also known as “baby’s vomiting like cheese” among the people. But it’s wrong to call it vomiting! Because this white, lumpy liquid is actually a baby’s spit reflex. This reflex can occur for reasons such as baby reflux , overfeeding. But it’s not a very serious problem, don’t be alarmed.
Vomiting is a very different situation! When the baby vomits, he empties all the substances in his stomach as if squirting out of his mouth, and different problems lie under it. You should not confuse these two situations.
3 Months Old Baby’s Sleep Pattern
Every month is working in your favor. 3-month-old baby sleep is much better than in previous months. Your baby’s sleep pattern will now start to settle down.
“How many hours does a 3-month-old baby sleep?”
We can answer this question in 6-8 hours. Of course, you must remember that this sleep will not be an uninterrupted sleep! Even if he wakes up early in the morning, he can sleep 2-3 times before noon and 2 hours in the afternoon. For more, we recommend waiting for the evening.
At How Many Months Should I Put the Baby in Its Own Room?
You shared a room with your baby for two full months. “Now I have to put him in his own room.” You can start practicing slowly. But you should know that if you want to invest in the same room until the 6th month, it will not be a problem.
Just when you decide to separate rooms, we recommend asking yourself: “Do I still feed my baby often?”
If you still feed often, you should consider how much trouble the separate room will be for you. In addition, you should also consider whether your baby’s presence in the room will cause you to feel uncomfortable even if he/she sleeps, since you have started sexual intercourse with your spouse during this process. If you don’t take it this month, you may have a little difficulty in getting it to your own room later on, you should take that into account.
The Harms of Sharing a Bed with a Baby
We guess that, like many parents who are very eager to have a baby, you love to breathe in her scent every moment. That’s why many parents choose to have their babies in their own bed, even if they have their own crib, playpen or basket bed. But you should know that this does more harm than good.
- Studies have found that most babies who sleep with their parents have sleep problems and have difficulty falling asleep on their own. This can undermine all your efforts to maintain a sleep pattern for your 3-month-old baby .
- This month, the risk of SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) continues. There is a possibility that your baby will suddenly become out of breath while lying down with you. In addition, materials such as quilts, blankets and pillows can cause this problem. Well, how will this baby sleep?
- Babies who sleep in the same bed with their parents may have difficulty perceiving themselves as a separate person.
- Sleeping in the same bed with your baby may also adversely affect the sexual intercourse process you will experience with your spouse.
- While you are sleeping, you may harm your baby even if you don’t want to.
- The more he sleeps with you and your partner, the harder it will be to separate the beds.