Brain development in children begins in the womb and continues throughout adulthood. Therefore, it is necessary to consume plenty of nutrients necessary for the brain development of babies during pregnancy.
According to experts, the development of the brain is mostly completed by the age of 5. We also talked about the foods that develop intelligence in children and their benefits, so that you can ensure that your child receives healthy and correct foods during this process. So let’s move on to our brain teasers!
The number one of the foods that develop intelligence is, of course, eggs. It is also indispensable for breakfast. Let’s get to the benefits:
- Since it contains high protein, it increases the concentration in children.
- It contains vitamins (A, D, B12, B group) necessary for memory.
- It contains tyrosine, which is necessary for the brain to receive and send signals.
- It provides the necessary energy to keep the body fit and alert.
- Thanks to the choline in it, it increases memory and learning capacity. Choline also plays an important role in intelligence and brain development. It is also abundant in meat and milk.
Fat is a very important nutrient source for brain health. With this aspect, full-fat yogurt is one of the nutrients necessary for the brain development of babies. By increasing the activity of the brain, it supports the development of the cell membrane. A few pieces of dark chocolate to be added to the yogurt also increase the blood flow to the brain, making the child’s mind more active.
At the beginning of the nutrients necessary for the brain development of babies, greens such as spinach and cabbage, which are rich in folate and vitamin contents, come. These foods are part of a healthy diet that lowers the risk of developing dementia later in life. Egg spinach and kale chips, in particular, help the growth of new brain cells.
Dementia: Also known as dementia, a condition in which mental abilities are weakened by illness.
Let’s continue with brain teasers! Oily fish is a good source of vitamin D and one of the most important foods that develop intelligence in children. You can choose fish such as salmon, tuna, sardines to protect your child’s brain, counter cognitive decline and memory loss.
Specialist Dr. Izlem Göçmen says that 50-60% of the brain’s structure is made up of fats. Fatty acids play an important role in brain development. The most useful of these are Omega-3 fatty acids. For this reason, make sure to set aside 2 days a week for fish on your little one’s nutrition list.
Another food that develops intelligence in babies is red meat. Meats that do not contain artificial substances, dyes, flavors, preservatives and sweeteners support the child’s brain development. Meat also contains choline.
In addition; You need to stay away from processed foods such as salami, sausage, sausage.
6. Nuts and seeds
Nuts and seeds packed with protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals are among the intelligence-boosting foods. Moreover, these foods make the nervous system of the child happy.
- Oatmeal, rich in protein and fiber, protects the health of the heart and brain vessels.
- One study showed that children who ate sugary oatmeal performed better on memory-related academic tasks than children who ate sugary cereals. We can say that oats are one of the intelligence-enhancing foods.
- It is also more beneficial to prefer cinnamon instead of sugar to sweeten foods. Because spice compounds serve as a support in protecting brain cells.
- By the way, sugar directly wreaks havoc on the brain. Eating mainly bread, pasta, rice and pastries lowers the average IQ.
8. Apples and plums
Children often want sweets when they are feeling sluggish. Not only do apples and plums meet this need, they also contain quercetin, an antioxidant that can cause a decline in mental abilities. You should prefer plums and apples, especially when they are in season.
Quercetin: A natural compound that we all need for a strong immune system, a longer lifespan and heart health.
- Another food that develops the intelligence of babies is broccoli. Thanks to the vitamin K in it, it increases the brain power and provides the development of cognitive functions.
- Folic acid, which is high in broccoli; It helps to eliminate problems such as tension, stress, irritable behavior and apathy.
10. Red Cabbage
One of the most important features of red cabbage is that it is one of the foods that increase focus. It contains the necessary polyphenol to increase long-term memory, reduce brain damage and prevent the risk of Alzheimer’s disease in the future.
Turmeric is one of the foods that support brain development in children thanks to the curcumin pigment in it. Another benefit is that it prevents the formation of Alzheimer’s.
Strawberry is one of our memory-boosting foods. Thanks to the flavonol compound called fisetin found in it, it prevents progressive memory and learning losses.
13. Dark chocolate
30-40 grams of dark chocolate with high cocoa contains strong antioxidants. Thanks to natural stimulants, dark chocolate is mentioned as one of the foods that increase focus in children, it increases concentration and focus. It activates brain receptors by increasing the level of endorphins.
14. Milk and dairy products
Milk and dairy products provide the flexibility of the cerebral cortex to store and send information. We said that fat is important for brain development and health. Whole milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Since the protein content in foods is higher, your preference should be for them. Each of them is a brain teaser.
Milk is also one of the foods with a high risk of allergies . Therefore, it is useful to be careful when giving it to your child for the first time. Let’s add this: Iron deficiency due to excessive milk drinking, especially in children, reduces intelligence. One-sided feeding has the same result.
As well as foods that support brain health, probiotics are closely related to brain health. Various disorders such as depression, distraction, autism and Alzheimer’s are regressed by correcting the intestinal flora.
Probiotic-rich foods and germinated grains and legumes strengthen the nervous system.
Water is vital for children! The dehydrated brain secretes the hormone cortisol, and excessive secretion of this hormone causes a decrease in memory power.
The secretion of cortisol triggers an increase in the hormone adrenaline, which negatively affects memory by causing deterioration in brain functions. Therefore, be very careful about your little lamb’s water consumption.