ou got pregnant while you were still breastfeeding your tiny baby. Thousands of questions in your mind. Will continuing to breastfeed while pregnant harm your baby? Will there be any changes in the milk? We’ve told you whatever comes to mind!
Can you get pregnant while breastfeeding? Does breastfeeding prevent pregnancy?
Getting pregnant while breastfeeding is a possibility, even for those who have just given birth. Although there is a term called “milk protection” among the people, you should not completely ignore the possibility of getting pregnant while breastfeeding.
When your period gradually settles down, it is likely that the ovulation period has started again. However, if your period is short-lived or irregular, it means that your ovulation period has not yet started.
Can a baby be breastfed while pregnant?
We said that breastfeeding while pregnant is not a dangerous situation for the baby’s health. However, if you do become pregnant while breastfeeding, you should decide with your doctor whether you can continue to breastfeed your baby. It is important that the pregnancy is under the supervision of a doctor, as there are changes in hormones during pregnancy.
Sometimes after the birth of your second baby, you can continue to breastfeed your little ones together. Known as double breastfeeding or tandem breastfeeding, this is something that happens a lot.
What are the symptoms of getting pregnant while breastfeeding?
delay in menstrual period
Fatigue, which is among the general pregnancy symptoms, can manifest itself as fatigue and weakness as pregnancy symptoms while breastfeeding. Since breastfeeding is already a stressful situation, when pregnancy accompanies it, the increase in hormones can trigger fatigue.
Will getting pregnant while breastfeeding harm the baby?
The international breastfeeding organization La Leche League states that breastfeeding while pregnant is completely safe and healthy. If you do not have any health problems with your pregnancy, you can safely continue to breastfeed your baby.
Does being pregnant while breastfeeding spoil the milk?
The amount of protein in milk increases and the sugar rate decreases. This causes the taste of the milk to change. It is not known how the baby will react to milk with a change in taste, but pregnancy does not cause any change in the structure of milk.
Also, “If the breastfeeding mother becomes pregnant, when will her milk spoil?” The answer to the question is also very curious. We said above that the milk will not spoil in this case, but the change in the amount of protein and sugar can begin in the first weeks of pregnancy.
Does being pregnant while breastfeeding reduce milk?
Experts answer yes to the question of whether being pregnant while breastfeeding cuts the milk. It is quite normal to have a decrease in milk secretions when entering the 2nd and 3rd months of pregnancy. Experts recommend that this period be spent under the supervision of a doctor for mother-baby health.
Some women may have a decrease in milk supply, but there is no research that proves 100% that being pregnant while breastfeeding reduces milk supply.
When should breastfeeding be stopped during pregnancy?
Does breastfeeding while pregnant cause diarrhoea?
Breastfeeding while pregnant has no known effect on diarrhea in infants. From time to time, you may experience diarrhea in your baby due to the structure of milk, but this also applies to those who do not experience pregnancy during breastfeeding.
Is it poisonous to breastfeed while pregnant?
Obstetrics and Gynecology Specialist Op. Dr. Alper Mumcu says that the common belief among the public that the quality of the pregnant woman’s milk decreases and that it may be toxic to the baby is completely wrong.
Does breastfeeding while pregnant cause miscarriage?
Studies have shown that breastfeeding while pregnant is not associated with miscarriage, low birth weight, and preterm birth. If there is such a risk during pregnancy, it already occurs. However, nothing confirms that breastfeeding triggers this condition.
Will breastfeeding while pregnant harm the baby?
Experts advocate giving breast milk to babies until they are 2 years old. Termination of breastfeeding due to re-pregnancy may adversely affect the development of the older child.
It is recommended that the mother eat healthy foods with high nutritional value, increase her caloric intake to a certain extent, consume plenty of water and, in some cases, use zinc and iron supplements.
What can you do to avoid getting pregnant while breastfeeding?
There are results that strong communication with your baby can prevent pregnancy. Three conditions are necessary for breastfeeding to be used as a contraceptive method to prevent pregnancy.
- Menstrual bleeding should not have started (Bleeding during puerperium is not included).
- The baby should be fed with breast milk.
- Your little one must be under 6 months old.
- Breastfeed your baby regularly throughout the night (Ovulation suppressing and lactating hormones are at their highest between 1 a.m. and 6 p.m.). Night feedings are important for suppressing fertility.
- Avoid using additional bottles and pacifiers. Postpone initiation of solid foods until 6 months or later.
- When breastfeeding is infrequent, prolactin levels drop and reproductive hormones rise, causing fertility to return. Paying attention to the frequency of breastfeeding is key.
- Of course, do not neglect protection during sexual intercourse.
- If you follow these rules, you can prevent pregnancy during a breastfeeding period of 13 to 6 months, but of course, although these reduce the probability, it does not mean that you will be protected for sure.
What should breastfeeding mothers pay attention to while pregnant?
- Mothers who become pregnant during breastfeeding should pay particular attention to nutrition. For a healthy weight gain, you should consume nutritious and healthy foods. We told you that you should pay attention to your nutrition, here is a guide:
- Make sure you consume enough water, it is of great importance for mother and baby health.
- Take care to rest frequently, as breastfeeding during pregnancy can make the mother more tired than the normal pregnancy process. Avoid activities that force yourself.
- If you’re having a difficult pregnancy, get your doctor’s approval to breastfeed and cooperate with her at every step. If you take the necessary care, there is no obstacle for you to have a healthy pregnancy.