Shoes are not an accessory, they are a clothing product that supports the orthopedic development of the baby and should be chosen correctly. The baby, whose body is changing and developing rapidly, will need a shoe that will keep his steps on the ground with the beginning of walking.
So, how will you choose baby shoes, how will you determine the baby shoe size? We have prepared this guide for you to clear all the doubts in your mind and make your choice easier.
When can babies wear shoes?
Before baby can practice walking, you just had to protect his feet with a bootie or socks. However, as he takes his first steps and starts to stand on his two feet, he will need a shoe. We say with her first steps, but her need for shoes is valid now that she can go outside! Otherwise, experts recommend that the baby be barefoot as much as possible in walking exercises at home. In other words, this process will start when you are about 1 year old . So the products you buy as 6-month-old baby shoes can only be an accessory for your baby.
What should the first step shoes be like?
1. It must be the right size. Your baby won’t be able to tell you that the heel of the shoe is hitting or that the shoe is too big for him, so you need to check it thoroughly. So how do you do this check?
- Length test: Check the distance between your baby’s thumb and the toe of the shoe by pressing the front of the shoe. Your baby’s toe should neither reset nor be too far from the tip of the shoe. A half inch gap would be ideal.
- Width test: While the baby is dressed, determine the position of the foot edges by pressing the sides of the shoes with your hand. As with the length test, the foot should not be reset to the edges.
- Heel test: Grab your baby’s ankle and move his foot up and down in the shoe. If your baby’s feet move freely but the shoes do not come off, you have chosen an ideal size shoe. If the foot does not play in the shoe at all or comes out of the shoe while playing, this shoe is not the right choice in terms of size.
Of course, there are many products suitable for these features, but as we can see from vicco shoe reviews, Vicco is highly appreciated.
If you apply the baby shoe size determination according to these stages, the product you choose will most likely not disturb your little one’s feet.
2. It should be light. The baby already wobbles while walking and runs the risk of falling in a small disruption. With a heavy shoe, this tough job becomes even harder for him. That’s why you should choose a light shoe to make your job easier and prevent unnecessary effort.
3. It should be flexible. A shoe that has a very hard sole, does not bend according to the shape of the feet, does not take shape, restricts the baby’s mobility and causes damage to the skeletal and muscular system. The toe of a first step shoe should be able to bend at least 40 degrees. Therefore, when purchasing, bend, bend and measure the flexibility of the shoe.
4. It should have a non-slip base. With non-slip shoes, you minimize the risks of slipping and falling.
5. It should be affordable. The rapidly developing baby will use their first shoe for a very short time. There may not be a need to spend a ton of money for this short period of time. Also, high price is not always an indicator of quality.
6. It should be as Velcro fastened as possible. Don’t bother with laces, choose the practical ones.
How should a toddler wear shoes?
You are desperate to buy those cute shoes for your baby walking, but the right shoes for your baby are not trendy and cute, but functional shoes.
- As with first step shoes, the most important factor for baby walking shoes is choosing the right size. You can apply all the steps you took when choosing the size of the first step shoes for your baby in this shoe. Apart from that, we will give you a few more tips.
Check with a sock: Baby will wear these shoes with socks of various thicknesses and lengths. Therefore, if he tries on the shoe with a sock on his foot and does not experience problems such as squeezing or hitting, that shoe is in a suitable size.
Try to put your little toe in the shoe : If the little toe can get into the shoe while the shoe is on your baby’s foot, it means that your baby’s foot can move in it easily.
Check on your baby’s feet: Dress your baby while she tries on shoes and get her to walk. Check to see if there is anything strange in your steps, whether your shoes come off your feet. It is important to pay attention to this issue when choosing shoes for toddlers in order to prevent accidents, as they cannot walk carefully at first.
- You should pay attention to the material from which the shoes are made. You should avoid materials such as rubber and plastic that will prevent your baby’s feet from breathing, sweat or damage them. It will be more beneficial to choose shoes that can provide air circulation. Serious problems such as fungus and odor occur in airtight feet.
- Elasticity is still important, but with the age of 3, you should choose shoes with a harder sole and support for your feet.
How can detect baby foot number?
The most important issue when choosing a product will be to know the baby shoe size correctly and to buy the appropriate size shoes. So how to detect baby shoe size? You can start by measuring the distance between your baby’s heel and the longest toe on your foot. After measuring, you can find out the information corresponding to this length from our table below.
|Length between heel and longest toe||Body||Age range||baby shoe size|
|11cm||baby small||0-6 months||17-18 EU / 0-2 UK|
|12.4 cm||baby medium||6-12 months||19-20 EU / 2-3 UK|
|14.2cm||baby large||12-18 months||21-22 EU / 3-5 UK|
|15.5cm||baby X large||18-27 months||23-24 EU / 5-6 UK|
|16.1 cm||Child||30-36 months||24 EU / 7-8 UK|
|17cm||Child||4 years old||25 EU / 8-9 UK|
|17.8cm||Child||5 years old||26 EU / 9-10 UK|
Do you have to buy orthopedic baby shoes?
Orthopedic shoes support the baby’s feet and prevent the development of foot problems. This can be a good option, especially for the first step shoes you buy as 1 year old baby shoes. However, this does not mean that every baby should wear orthopedic shoes! Orthopedic baby shoes can be useful, especially if the baby has problems such as flat feet, dislocated foot bones and a predisposition to a foot problem.
Orthopedic shoes provide support to the points of the foot that need to stay healthy. You can choose orthopedic shoes as a precaution, but if there is no problem, this is not a necessity.
How should you choose baby sandals?
How would you like to buy a pair of sandals so that your baby’s feet will be comfortable in the summer and he can get some good weather? You can benefit from the tips we have given in choosing shoes in terms of size in baby sandals. However, there are a few more points to consider:
- When choosing baby sandals, you should pay attention to the fact that the sandals are made of materials that will not cause odor and harm.
- You should make sure that the edges of the sandals do not injure or pinch your baby’s feet.
- Make sure that materials such as plastic are not used. Even though the foot gets enough air with sandals, plastic materials can cause odor and fungus formation on the feet, especially in hot weather.
How should baby house shoes be?
What we call baby house shoes is actually panduf! But now the slipper models have diversified so much, they have taken the appearance of shoes that it is not strange to call them house shoes anymore! There are models of cute baby house shoes that will keep your baby’s feet warm!
The important point you should pay attention to when buying baby house shoes is that they do not make the feet sweat like the others.
In addition, baby booties can also be evaluated in this category. Baby booties, which are a nice alternative especially for the baby who has not yet started to walk, will both keep the baby’s feet warm and add cuteness to their cuteness like an accessory.
How should baby sneakers be?
We came to the kind of shoes you can’t wait to buy for your baby! The comfort, ease of use and models of baby sneakers enchant you, we know. In fact, the most comfortable first step shoes and walking baby shoes and models suitable for your baby’s feet come out of baby sneakers. Especially the models with flexible soles and breathable structures are just for the feet of your developing baby! Of course, it is important to pay attention to whether the design is anatomical baby shoes.
Tiny fingers fora: Baby slippers
Your baby can wear slippers too! In addition, the slippers produced for babies are very cute and will make you jealous!
When choosing baby slippers, it will be enough for you to pay attention to the same elements as baby sandals. The fact that your baby’s feet are not harmed and that they are produced with materials that do not smell will be one of the main things you should pay attention to in baby slippers, as always. In addition, it is important that the baby fully grasps his foot and does not jump out of his feet in sudden movements.