You’ve been complaining about babies crying while traveling on airplanes, but now maybe you’ll be the mother of that crying baby! We’ve listed the things you need to know before you go on a plane trip with a baby. There is no room for tears in this journey!
Can babies get on a plane?
Although traveling on a plane with a baby worries families, it’s okay for your little one to get on a plane as long as they’re healthy. In this case, the question may come to mind at what age babies can get on the plane. In fact, there is no set age or month criteria for your baby to get on the plane. In other words, it is possible to travel by plane with a 20-day-old baby, or a 6-month-old baby. If you’re nervous though, you can wait until your baby is 6 months old .
Let’s give a detail, airline companies may have certain procedures for traveling with a baby on the plane. Unless there is an urgent medical reason, some companies do not accept babies under 1 week to travel by plane. Some companies may request a doctor’s report that there is no harm in flying the baby. In other words, it is generally okay to have infant passengers on the plane.
Is it possible to buy a plane ticket for the baby?
Passengers covering the age range of 0-2 are called infant passengers. Most airlines charge for infants up to 2 years old. Pricing varies from company to company. However, baby flight ticket prices are much cheaper than normal tickets. Some companies only apply additional fees for baby tickets on domestic flights. If the child is over 2 years old, he/she must travel in a seat in accordance with the flight rules. For this, you have to pay the normal passenger fare.
If you’ve put your mind at ease, now you can start preparing for your baby plane trip!
Preparations to do before you go on a plane trip with a baby
It will make your job easier to prepare everything you may need during the journey before you leave.
- Take lots of diapers and cleaning wipes with you. Due to the air pressure, the baby’s diaper may be more dirty than expected.
- You may encounter problems such as vomiting while traveling with the baby on the plane. Take plenty of clothes just in case. Of course, you should also have extra bags in your bag where you can put these clothes.
- Do not forget to take medical products such as medicines and creams that you use regularly for your baby.
- In case your baby gets hungry, take foods that won’t be shaken and easy to feed (like bottle formulas, fruit for children starting solid foods, crackers). If you’re breastfeeding, it’s okay! You can take up to 100 ml of liquid with you.
- Bring objects and toys that will keep your baby busy and interesting.
- It is also helpful to find out the “infant baggage allowance” conditions of the airline you will be traveling with before preparing a baggage for your baby.
What should those who travel with a baby pay attention to at the airport?
- In the interest of arriving at the airport at least 1-2 hours before the flight, your baby gets used to the environment in this process.
- If you meet the necessary needs of your baby when you arrive at the airport, you will reduce the work such as breastfeeding and changing diapers on the plane.
- You can deliver your luggage to the staff early and wait for the flight time comfortably.
Can you take a baby carriage on the plane?
The answer to the question of whether the baby stroller is taken on the plane is yes. You can deliver the stroller with your luggage, or you can take it to the aircraft entrance and deliver it to the officers from there.
What should you do during your flight with the baby?
- If you haven’t bought a seat for your baby, it will travel on your baby’s lap. An additional baby belt will be given to your baby for travel.
- If you bought a seat, the infant seat is usually provided by you on the plane.
You buy it for the car, it is also used on the plane. That’s why the choice matters: The A- Z Guide to Choosing a Car Seat
- Some airline companies have products such as blankets and pillows for babies, you can ask the flight attendants.
- In babies, pressure on the plane can block their ears. On the plane, you can breastfeed the baby, make him swallow, and make him drink sips of water to prevent ear congestion. Occlusion is most common during takeoff and landing. Therefore, repeat these actions on takeoffs and landings.
- So how to breastfeed a baby on an airplane? There is no need for any special situation, a nursing cover is enough. Then you can do what we said above.
- Your baby may get bored of the silence and congestion in the plane after a while, so don’t let this bother you and don’t think that you are disturbing people. It is not forbidden to have a baby on the plane! Try to calm him down as soon as possible and don’t get nervous.
- You can try to put your baby to sleep and keep him busy with items that interest him. You can talk to him and get him to listen to you, or you can sing soothing, calming songs.
- If you are in a difficult situation, do not hesitate to ask the flight attendants and people close to you for help.
And you have finally come to the end of your journey. Don’t be in a hurry to get off the plane, if you have a stroller, wait for the staff to prepare it. Once you have your car and luggage, let your first trip with your baby begin!