Although it is the dream of every parent to raise self-confident children, a lack of self-confidence can be seen in children due to the wrong attitude of parents or the social environment. At this point, it is necessary to learn how to instill self-confidence in the child.
How to overcome the lack of self-confidence in children, what should you do as a parent? Let’s start!
When does the development of self-confidence in children begin?
There are many factors that affect the development of self-confidence in children. The first people that the baby attaches securely to are his parents, so the most important factor in the development of self-confidence is the family. The factors that improve the child’s self-confidence expand with the social environment consisting of relationships with family and friends, teachers and friends.
What are the causes of low self-esteem in children?
From infancy, it is very important how much of the physical and emotional needs of the child are met. With the calm, safe and peaceful environment provided to the child, the first foundations of trust are laid. In this process, babies whose needs are not met regularly and on time feel insecure.
Being overprotective of the child and having an oppressive attitude that goes beyond the limit also reduces the sense of self-confidence. In summary, the most influential factor in children’s self-confidence is parents.
What are the signs of low self-esteem in children?
- Not being able to express their feelings and thoughts easily,
- Worrying in a newly entered environment and asking for an adult to accompany you,
- avoiding responsibilities,
- Not wanting to leave the people they feel safe with,
- avoiding social situations,
- Difficulty making friends
- needing approval,
- Persistent feelings of unlovedness, guilt and shame
- Having difficulty making a decision
- Not putting limits on their relationships.
How to overcome the lack of self-confidence in children?
Developing self-confidence in children, according to starts with “gaining a sense of confidence”. Children who feel safe and love do not lack self-confidence. In order to restore the lost self-confidence to the child, first of all, it is necessary to eliminate the mistakes that cause the lack of self-confidence. Let’s list the things you need to do to raise a self-confident child:
- In order for your child to feel valued, you must make him feel that you love him unconditionally. He said to her, “I won’t love you, I won’t be your mother if you do these things. You shouldn’t make sentences like “.
- One of the parent mistakes that leads to a lack of self-confidence in children is comparing them to others. “Look how well Ayşe eats her food.” Using comparator sentences like this will only hurt his self-confidence.
- You should know your child’s developmental characteristics well and act accordingly. Expecting your child beyond his/her development can lead to a feeling of inadequacy.
- One of the things that prevent children from developing self-confidence is making threatening statements. “If you don’t tidy your room, I won’t buy you the toy you want.” Using sentences such as can cause him to take on an obedient nature or, on the contrary, to become irritable.
- Under no circumstances should you use physical or verbal violence against your child. “What kind of child are you?” You should not harass him with sentences like.
- One of the best ways to develop self-confidence in children is to give them responsibilities. Tiny responsibilities like asking him to bring forks and spoons to set the table, pressing the button to start the dishwasher help him see himself as a successful individual.
- You should listen to your child by putting them in their eyes. Talking to him by squatting or sitting next to him allows you to communicate more closely.
- When making a decision on a subject or buying something new, you should also get your child’s opinion. The child whose opinion is consulted feels valuable. This also helps the child to be assertive in a new environment.
- The role of friendships and social life is also important for adolescence. A word from a friend during this period can lead to a lack of self-confidence in adolescents. The better your communication with your child, the more he can share with you and get through this process more easily.
- You should appreciate the products your child has come up with. You can start by praising his pictures!
- You should have a good time with your child. You can spend at least 45 minutes-1 hour a day playing games and chatting with your child. Under the name of self-confidence development games for children, you can include various skill games during the day or organize family activities. The emergence of the abilities that exist in himself helps the child gain self-confidence.