Do you know the importance of using sunglasses for babies and do you know what kind of glasses you should choose? How should baby sunglasses be, let’s clear the question marks in your head.
Do children need to wear sunglasses?
Most of the parents are unaware of the importance of using sunglasses for their children, while others see sunglasses as just a cute accessory and do not buy the right product. So should babies wear sunglasses?
Children need sunglasses more than adults, and these products should be used for health, not aesthetic appearance! Because the eyes and even the eyelids of children under the age of 10 are much more sensitive, short wavelength rays emitted from the sun can reach the retinas of children much more easily. As a result, cataracts, eye fluid imbalances, pupil dilation, and vision problems may occur in later ages. That’s why it’s imperative that you buy your child the right sunglasses before long!
When do babies wear sunglasses?
The question of when babies should wear sunglasses is a matter of curiosity for parents. It is useful to use sun protection methods such as hats and umbrellas for your baby, but it is difficult to provide full protection without glasses! So at this time when the baby is 6 months old and can slowly sit up on his own and his skills are improving, you can buy a pair of sunglasses. Your baby will probably want to take off the glasses, so you can choose baby sunglasses with an elastic back, which they can’t easily take off, until they are 2 years old.
At the age of 2, you can start using classic glasses gradually. But if he’s a very active baby, you should wait a little longer.
How should baby sunglasses be?
- First of all, of course, the lenses of children’s sunglasses should have UVA and UVB protection. This feature is very important for 100% protection of the eyes from the sun’s rays! There are 5 types of glass, let’s have a look at them:
Class 0 : These glasses do not have UV protection. For display purposes only.
Class 1 : Glasses with very low UV protection. It does not provide adequate protection for your baby.
Class 2 : Provides moderate UV protection. Slightly reduces glare.
Class 3 : Glasses with good UV protection. Significantly reduces glare.
Class 4 : These glasses have a very high level of UV protection and glare refraction.
These features are found on eyeglass labels. That’s why you need to carefully examine the tags.
- It is important that the windows are not too dark in color. Contrary to popular belief, these glasses do not facilitate the filtering of the sun’s rays. It both reduces the child’s eyesight and makes it difficult for him to communicate.
- The lenses you choose should be of good quality. You can tell the quality of the glass by the ripples on its surface when you hold the glass to the light and move it. If the fluctuation is intense, that glass is of poor quality.
- Windows and frames must be resistant to impacts. This is important so that when the child falls or hits something while playing in the park, garden, on the beach, the glasses will not break and harm him.
- The material of the glasses should be light and comfortable. For this, you can choose glasses made of polycarbonate.
- Glasses should fit your child’s face perfectly. When installed, sunlight should not penetrate from the sides and from the top, but it should not be too tight either.
- The material of the frame should not contain chemicals. Paint, frames containing toxic substances can cause an allergic reaction on the sensitive skin of your child.
- The frame you buy must have a certificate and warranty. This is an element that reveals the reliability of the glasses.
- If your child already has a vision problem, you should use prescription sunglasses. These glasses can be specially produced according to the needs of your child.
Should children only wear glasses in summer?
UV rays reach the earth at medium and high intensity not only in summer but also in September, October and November. At the same time, when it snows, the reflection of the sun’s rays on the snow layer can harm the eyes at least as much as in summer. For this reason, it is important for your child to use glasses not only when the sun is blazing high, but also every time the rays spread! This rule actually applies to sunscreens too!
Let’s talk about the habit of using sunglasses for children in Turkey. Studies show that parents have little or no habit of using the right sunglasses for their children! Parents generally prefer these products for their aesthetic appearance, not whether they are healthy or not, and instead of spending money on eyeglasses, they buy products sold on the street and on the counter.
The rate of mothers using the right sunglasses for their children is 3.7% in Turkey. The things that this part cares about when purchasing products;
- Certified and guaranteed,
- provide adequate protection,
- Sorted by aesthetic appearance. The rest do not think of glasses as a health product. A news about the problems that these poor quality glasses will cause!