Sneezing, runny nose and itching… Allergic rhinitis in babies is the nightmare of seasonal transitions. Why does it happen, what are the symptoms and how is it treated? All the details about allergic rhinitis are in our article!
What is allergic rhinitis in babies?
allergic rhinitis; It is a disease that occurs with symptoms such as nasal discharge, congestion and swelling, especially during seasonal transitions. It is the result of the body’s reaction to the allergens in the environment. Hay fever is also called nasal allergy or allergic rhinitis.
What causes allergic rhinitis in babies?
- Genetic predisposition,
- Allergens (pollen, house dust, mold and pet dander),
- Air pollution,
- Elements such as cigarette smoke cause allergic rhinitis.
Allergic rhinitis is closely related to genetics. The allergic gene can be transmitted from person to person and affect another individual. If you or your spouse have allergic rhinitis, it is very likely that your child will also have it.
Triggers such as cigarette smoke and air pollution are also important factors. Exposure to cigarette smoke, in particular, increases the symptoms of allergic rhinitis. Because cigarette smoke increases the allergy cells in the nose. This can cause sudden nasal congestion and sneezing attacks.
Seasonal allergic rhinitis attacks in babies are also very common. Extra attention to seasonal changes.
What are the symptoms of allergic rhinitis in babies?
- sneezing attack,
- nasal congestion ,
- watering, redness and swelling in the eyes,
- Clear, watery runny nose
- swelling in the nose,
- cough (especially at night)
- Postnasal drip,
- dark circles under the eyes (allergic eyes),
- Snoring and mouth breathing at night due to nasal congestion,
- Impairment of olfactory function,
- A persistent red throat
- Frequent throat clearing
- It is fatigue.
Symptoms of allergic rhinitis in infants may not appear immediately. Respiratory allergies are very rare under 2 years of age. Sometimes the common cold is confused with nasal allergies because many of their symptoms are similar.
If your child has allergic rhinitis, they may often have sinus and ear infections, or they may be more prone to eye infections. Your little one may be tired and irritable, as chronic allergies can also affect children’s sleep.
How is allergic rhinitis treated in babies?
In the first stage of the treatment of allergic rhinitis in infants, the factor that causes the allergy is first identified and measures are taken accordingly. If there is a situation caused by the items in the environment, you need to remove them from the environment where your baby is. The child should not be exposed to factors that may increase allergic rhinitis.
With the elimination of allergen factors, drug treatment is also continued. Antihistamines used in the treatment of allergic rhinitis in children help to eliminate the allergic effect on the nasal mucosa. These drugs need to be used for a long time. In addition, nasal sprays and drops are also used in the treatment of allergic rhinitis. Antihistamines can also have some side effects.
Let’s give a little information. The most common side effects of antihistamines are;
- Sleeping state,
- dry mouth,
- decreased appetite,
- Rarely are behavioral changes.
Remember that the treatment of allergic diseases does not give results in the short term. Although it seems to pass, it is necessary to continue the treatment for a long time under the supervision of a doctor. So don’t worry about why my baby isn’t getting better.
Prolonged continuation of allergic rhinitis can also lead to asthma problems.
Beware of over-the-counter sprays in the treatment of allergic rhinitis!
In cases where your baby’s allergies are severe, you may intend to use over-the-counter nasal sprays and decongestants. However, you should not use the nasal spray for more than 3-4 days for allergies.
After a few days, medications can increase nasal congestion rather than reduce it. Increased nasal congestion also has a more troubling effect than allergic rhinitis itself.
In which cases is the allergic rhinitis vaccine administered?
We said that the first thing to do in the treatment of allergic rhinitis in babies is to remove allergens. The next step is to support this with drug therapy.
However, since genetic transmission is the basis of allergic rhinitis, the problem may not be solved by removing allergens. The baby may show severe allergic symptoms. In order to reduce the sensitivity to allergies that trigger attacks, your doctor may recommend an allergy shot.
Allergy vaccination is rarely recommended for children under the age of 5 and should definitely not be your first choice.
What should be considered in allergic babies?
- No one should smoke in the house where babies with allergic rhinitis live. You should make sure that your family members and guests living in the house follow this rule.
- You should dust the items in the room where your baby sleeps with a damp cloth once a day and vacuum the floors twice a week.
- You should keep the humidity low in the areas where your baby lives.
- In dry and dry weather, try not to take your child outside if there is wind. After the rain, when the pollen in the air is cleaned, the most ideal time for you.
- Cat and dog hair triggers allergies. If your baby is allergic to an animal, you’d better choose to live with hairless pets, at least until they’re a little older. Next is your decision.
- Molds grow in dark and closed places. Soil, grass and dead leaves are ideal areas for molds. Inside the home, they are found in toilets, roofs, and old mattresses, pillows or blankets that have not been ventilated for a long time. When you take your child out, pay attention to these areas, you can overcome the mold in the house with disinfectant.
- House dust mites, which are too small to be seen, live in humid environments. Many people are also allergic to house dust mites. You can cover mattresses and pillows with anti-allergic covers, and wash sheets and blankets with hot water every 1-2 weeks to kill mites.
- Seawater is very effective for allergic rhinitis in babies, as it clears all sinus tracts.