Did you suddenly encounter bad breath in your little pup? As a matter of fact, “Why do babies’ mouths stink?” you wonder. We all encounter these smells from time to time, but this situation seen in babies can be a sign of a problem.
In this article, we touched on issues such as what causes bad breath in babies and how to get rid of bad breath in babies.
What causes bad breath in babies?
Bad breath in babies can have many causes. Although the last meal, lack of oral hygiene, etc., some diseases and physiological problems are among the causes of bad breath in babies. Let’s take a look at all these factors one by one.
As a result of these reasons, bad breath in babies occurs especially in the morning.
- Decreased mouth secretion at night
- b12 deficiency,
- Conditions such as iron deficiency are among the causes of bad breath in babies.
- thrush in babies ,
- intraoral infection,
- Tooth and bottle caries,
- Palatal problems can cause bad breath in babies.
Also, “Do babies who are teething have bad breath?” Let’s answer the question. Yes, as there will be changes in the mouth during this period, the problem of breath odor may increase in babies.
Causes related to the stomach and intestinal system
- baby reflux,
- Stenosis at the gastric outlet (pyloric stenosis),
- Intestinal absorption problems
- Helicobacter pylori disease,
- Intestinal worms are one of the answers to the question of why the baby’s breath smells.
Causes related to systemic diseases
Among the causes of bad breath, we can count systematic diseases. Let’s examine what these systematic diseases are together.
- Diabetes in children (Acetone-like odor occurs.),
- blood related diseases,
- Kidney failure and poisoning.
In such cases, ketones and ammonia accumulated in the body can cause acetone odor in the mouth in babies.
Respiratory related causes
- throat infections,
- nasal congestion,
- Postnasal drip,
- Lung infection,
- Conditions such as sinus infection are among the causes of bad breath in babies.
lack of hygiene
Most mothers do not pay attention to oral hygiene because their teeth will fall out in infancy. But especially with the transition to complementary foods, the foods that the baby eats accumulate around the teeth and cause bacteria formation. This causes bad breath.
If you are wondering if the pacifier can cause bad breath, let’s say that if the products such as bottles and pacifiers used by the baby are not cleaned correctly, the bacteria accumulated here can pass into the baby’s mouth and cause bad breath. Therefore, it is necessary to pay attention to the hygiene of nutritional products. So yes, pacifiers cause bad breath in babies unless they are cleaned.
It is possible to talk about chronic halitosis when bad breath in babies persists for more than 2 months and does not go away despite careful hygiene. In such a case, some blood tests, stomach and intestinal examinations are required to find the underlying cause of the odor. In this way, the problem of bad breath can be eliminated by treating the problem.
How to get rid of bad breath in babies?
“ My baby has bad breath, what should I do? “Let’s answer the question. As we mentioned above, the first thing to do is to find the source of the problem. Apart from these;
- To give information about tooth brushing and oral hygiene, to gain a habit,
- Cleaning your baby’s teeth with finger brushes,
- To clean not only the teeth, but also the tongue by brushing,
- To prevent dry mouth by drinking plenty of water,
- To ensure that they are fed with the right foods, to provide hygiene after consuming these foods (onions, garlic, etc.),
- To prevent smoking near
- Especially to prevent nasal congestion (For this, steam machines can be used at home ),
- Encouraging mouth cleaning after mealtime,
- Keeping the situation under control and consulting a specialist in case of reoccurrence are useful ways to combat bad breath in babies.