What causes postpartum hair loss? Is hair loss normal during breastfeeding? What is good for postpartum hair loss? All the details you are wondering about are in our article!
What causes hair loss after giving birth?
Most mothers worry about hair loss during breastfeeding. However, this is a completely natural process. This is the case in Anatolia as well: “Hair loss starts when the baby gets to know the mother.” mentioned as. Of course, the hair loss situation while the baby gets to know the mother is not related to this, but the hair regains its former health after a while.
Changes in hormone levels due to pregnancy prevent hair from falling out at its usual rate. This makes the hair look thicker. After birth, the body sheds all the extra hair. This is the main reason for hair loss in breastfeeding mothers.
Other factors that trigger hair loss during breastfeeding;
- Not enought feeding,
- Vitamin deficiency
- DST (postpartum thyroid).
Excessive postpartum hair loss may also indicate some problems such as DST (postpartum thyroid). Within 1 to 3 months after birth; Hyperthyroidism, which manifests itself with symptoms such as fatigue, tension, hot flashes, excessive sweating and insomnia, can be confused with puerperal symptoms. Therefore, if the symptoms are more pronounced and longer than expected, you should definitely see your doctor.
What is good for hair loss after giving birth?
If you are looking for a solution to postpartum hair loss, listen to our suggestions below:
- First of all, it is useful to have blood and vitamin tests and have your thyroid checked to find out the underlying cause of hair loss while breastfeeding. If there is a problem with your values, you should seek appropriate treatment.
- Nutrition is a very important factor. Keep eating well and taking vitamin supplements to have healthy hair. Consume omega-3 rich foods frequently and drink plenty of water.
- You should pay extra attention to postpartum hair care. Stay away from chemicals, postpone coloring until your hair returns to its normal state. Ask your hairdresser to style your hair in an easy-care style. Using products such as hair styling, mousse, and spray.
- Since hair follicles are very sensitive, applications such as perms, curling irons and blow dryers can cause more hair loss. Therefore, take a break from the electronic tools you use for hair styling.
- Use wide-tooth combs to comb your hair after a shower. It might also be good if you don’t use a hair dryer for a while.
- If you are looking for a shampoo for postpartum hair loss, be sure to choose products containing biotin. Because biotin nourishes the hair. You can also use shampoos against hair loss available in pharmacies.
- Remember that you should start hair care during your pregnancy to prevent hair loss after giving birth.
How long does hair loss last after giving birth?
how long does hair loss last after giving birth
Hair loss after pregnancy is temporary, don’t worry. On average, your hair will return to its normal state when your baby is 6 months old. In some women, this process may take up to 1 year.
Does hair loss during breastfeeding cause baldness?
Women who experience very intense hair loss during breastfeeding wonder if there are mothers who go bald after giving birth. However, hair loss after childbirth is a normal process and does not cause baldness.