The 2-year-old syndrome, also referred to as “terrible couples”, is a situation in which sweet little ones turn into monsters. So what’s going on with these kids that they’re turning into rebellious madmen? In this article, we have explained all the details you need to know, from what the symptoms of 2-year-old syndrome are to how to treat a child with 2-year-old syndrome!
What is 2-year-old syndrome?
It is a temporary period when 2-year-old children go into a power struggle with the whole world, say no to everything, disobey, unstable, indecisive, negative and rebellious. prof. Dr. Haluk Yavuzer, in his book The First 6 Years of a Child, says that such a situation is valid for 2.5 years old, and that this difficult period can be described as the “stage of restlessness”.
What are the symptoms of 2-year-old syndrome?
- Bad temper,
- sudden tantrums,
- Don’t say “no” to everything, don’t try frantically to get what you want,
- Getting angry quickly when not understood, giving impulsive reactions,
- disobeying words, doing the opposite of what is said to the contrary,
- wanting to touch everything, hyperactivity,
- Don’t want to do everything alone
- Sometimes crying in the form of a crisis, hitting the head against the wall, hitting various places/things,
- The desire to establish authority against everyone around them is one of the symptoms of the two-year-old syndrome.
Sleep problems can occur in different ways throughout childhood. Especially the 2-year-old syndrome can cause sleep problems .
When does the 2-year-old syndrome begin?
Every child’s development is unique. But the reason why it is called the “two-year-old syndrome” is because children around the age of 2 go through such a difficult period. It usually peaks at 2.5 years of age. Some symptoms may start at the age of 1.5 years.
Causes of two-year-old syndrome
If you do not consider the imbalance and indecision of your child as spoiled, you can act more compassionately towards him if you are aware of the reasons:
- This period is an intermediate stage in the development of the nervous system, so the stones have not yet settled.
- The balance of 2.5-year-old children is not complete, the muscle-motor mechanism has not been perfected yet. Since he does not have the ability to choose, he prefers both possibilities, he is confused.
- It is a period in which they frequently wake up by having fearful dreams under the influence of daily tensions. The effect of this situation behind the shaken moods is great.
- The brain of a 2-3 year old child is 2 times more active than the brain of an adult. Behind the curiosity that can cause problems and the questions it asks relentlessly, there is a fast-working brain.
- As his sense of “I” develops, he wants to tell you what he likes and dislikes at every opportunity. When his increasing vocabulary comes into play, he becomes a child who cannot keep quiet.
- As her independence grows, she feels separate from you. It can be intimidating for her to step up on her own as she struggles to manifest her desires.
How to behave in 2-year-old syndrome?
We come to the most critical part. The first thing you need to understand is that this period is normal and temporary. As psychologist Vygotsky, one of the doyens of cognitive development, said, child development is a process of crises and revolutions. Growth is possible through such difficult times. It is always good for your child to gain independence, to want to prove himself, to know himself. He needs to get through this difficult period so that his self-confidence can improve. So, how to treat a 2-year-old child , let’s look together.
- “Don’t talk to your mother like that!” It’s not the time to try. Ignore these negative behaviors of your child, manage him, be indifferent for a while, do not get into an argument.
- The boy said, “Get out of here!” If he says, think about what else is underneath it, don’t get angry right away. In fact, he may even want you to be closer to him. He may be feeling blocked because you’re not helping him with this. “I think you’re just mad at me for being busy. Do you want me to play with you?” you can say. In this way, the child learns the words necessary to express himself next time.
- When your child is angry, you can direct his attention to the toy or something.
- Mothers with 2-year-old syndrome may be surprised how they will cope with this situation. When you’re having a tantrum, swallow your breath, stay calm, don’t answer. Don’t tell him that he shouldn’t do that, he won’t understand when he’s in a crisis, and the tension rises even more.
- “Oh you fall, don’t you break!” Do not use such phrases during this period. In front of you is a ball of energy and anger ready to explode! Staying away from conflict from the start makes life easier.
- Apply the basic principles of communication: Focus all your attention on it. Make eye contact. Reinforce the sign of acceptance with your body language. This will show that you respect him. Approach him with a serious face, listen to him. Speak in a firm voice.
- Always support their efforts. Ignore your mistakes. Praise all your achievements. Don’t worry she won’t find out if I don’t get spoiled and tell her your mistakes. What he needs at this time is to be respected, to have his own existence accepted.
- “You know best.” don’t be afraid to say it. Saying “You know” not only allows you to respect your child’s wishes and objections, but also teaches your child to take responsibility for their actions.
- Build games that need to give something to others so that the game can learn to share.
- Stay away from boring excursions especially when you are hungry or tired.
- Give your child an opportunity to release his energy.
- If you want your child to behave when you go somewhere, take him outside for a run first.
- “Are you going to wear red socks or blue socks today?” Make him feel like he’s grown by asking questions like:
- If you give him small tasks, he will feel important. He can help you while cooking, and group his own while folding the laundry.
When does the 2 year old syndrome end?
These aggressive attitudes of your child can usually end between the ages of 3 and 4 years. Sometimes this situation can last until the end of 5 years.