There are many factors that cause hoarseness in babies. Although muting in babies usually goes away on its own in a short time, it can be worrying for parents.
What causes hoarseness in babies and how is it treated? What is good for hoarseness in babies, what are the solutions at home? We talked about it all.
What is hoarseness?
Occurring in the sound pitch; Abnormal changes such as bifurcation, tension and hoarseness are called hoarseness.
What causes hoarseness in babies?
First of all, hoarseness is not a disease; Let’s say it’s considered a sign of illness. Although this situation often passes in a short time, the baby’s continued use of his voice can lead to complete choking. What causes hoarseness in babies, let’s look at all the factors together:
1. Don’t cry a lot
Excessive use of voice is one of the leading causes of hoarseness in babies. So how can a baby use his voice? crying a lot! Since the vocal cords of the baby who cry for a long time swell, the voice may become hoarse.
No matter how normal a baby’s crying is, frequent crying spells can be seen in colic babies. Colic is the most common cause of hoarseness in newborn babies. Of course, it is also useful not to ignore that there may be another health problem.
2. Throat reflux
Throat reflux is one of the first factors that come to mind when it comes to why babies’ voices are hoarse. The rise of stomach acid towards the throat can cause irritation in the vocal cords and larynx. This disease, called throat reflux, causes hoarseness and cough symptoms in babies to be seen at the same time. If your baby’s throat clearing and coughing habit is more than normal, there may be a possibility of throat reflux.
Since allergies can cause swelling in the vocal cords, it can cause hoarseness and nasal congestion in the baby . Allergies, especially in the spring period, can bring the problem of hoarseness.
4. Common cold
One of the most common causes of hoarseness and sore throat is viral diseases. So, if you say “my baby is muted”, watch out! Viral diseases such as flu and cold can cause irritation of the vocal cords and hoarseness. If hoarseness has started in the baby with a runny nose and congestion, you may suspect a cold.
Hoarseness and wheezing in babies can be caused by sputum. A baby with a viral infection may collect more phlegm in his throat. Babies often cannot clear their throats effectively, so the buildup can cause hoarseness.
6. Vocal cord nodule, polyp or cyst
If you say my baby’s voice is muffled, you may think of nodules, polyps and cysts. Screaming of the baby too much can lead to the formation of benign lesions such as nodules, polyps or cysts on the vocal cords. You don’t have to worry as these formations that occur in the middle part of the vocal cords are benign. This situation can be analyzed with analyzes and examinations to evaluate the voice box.
7. Other causes of hoarseness in babies
- lung diseases,
- Too much exposure to cigarettes or chemical gases can also cause the baby’s voice to be hoarse.
How is hoarseness treated in babies?
It’s not a disease; We talked about signs. Therefore, the healing of the disease that causes hoarseness allows this symptom to disappear as well. Hoarseness in babies is a condition that will pass spontaneously in a short time unless there is a serious health problem.
If you are wondering when hoarseness in babies goes away, let’s say that this situation disappears within 1 week under normal conditions. If there is a situation that lasts longer than 1 week, you should take your baby to the doctor without wasting time.
In the treatment of hoarseness in babies, voice therapy is recommended rather than voice surgery. Since this condition is a sub-branch of the speech problem, treatment is applied by a specialist speech and language therapist. First of all, the ENT doctor performs the diagnosis and medical treatment of the existing pathological condition. The speech and language therapist also deals with the rehabilitation part of the situation.
What is good for hoarseness in babies?
If the cause of the voice change in babies is not due to a serious health problem, the healing process can be accelerated with some precautions and simple applications. What is good for hoarseness in babies, let’s move on to our suggestions:
- If your baby is crying a lot that causes his voice to be muted, you can start by eliminating the factors that cause it and trying to comfort your baby!
- As with everything else, breast milk is the most natural treatment method for voice reduction in babies. Frequent breastfeeding softens the vocal cords as it moistens the throat. It also increases the baby’s body resistance.
- If your baby has switched to solid food, you should be careful to make him drink enough water.
- If your baby’s hoarseness is caused by viral conditions such as the flu or flu, you can help relieve the congestion with nasal decongestants and aspirators.
Herbal solution suggestions for hoarseness in babies
Can hoarseness and cough in babies go away with herbal treatment, let’s answer this first. If the underlying cause is a disease, you should act according to the treatment method recommended by your doctor. As long as the disease element does not disappear, the applications you make are useless. With the herbal cures you will do in addition to the treatment, you will only contribute to the process.
What to do for hoarseness in babies, let’s look at the recommendations of experts:
- Lemon is also good for the treatment of hoarseness caused by mucus. It prevents the formation of infections by softening the vocal cords. However, if your baby has reflux, lemon is not recommended.
- Hoarseness in babies can also improve with a mixture of olive oil, honey and lemon. You can give a mixture of 1 tablespoon each of olive oil and lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of honey to your baby. Due to honey, the age limit of 1 applies here as well.
- Ginger, which is known for its antibacterial properties as well as its anti-inflammatory effect, is also good for voice cracking in babies. It is effective against infections in the upper respiratory tract as it reorganizes the health of the mucosa.
- One of the herbs that is good for hoarseness and cough in babies is chamomile tea. It is also good for hoarseness caused by laryngitis.