Stomach cold in babies, also called gastroenteritis; It is a problem that can be seen due to some viruses, especially affecting the stomach and intestines.
Let’s find out together the causes and solutions of stomach flu in babies. Start reading now!
What is stomach flu (gastroenteritis) in babies?
Although this disease is known as stomach flu / stomach cold, it is not similar to these problems. Gastroenteritis is a stomach and intestinal disease; Caused by viruses, bacteria, or infections. It also has an infectious feature, it can be easily transmitted through the air or with infected food.
What are the symptoms of stomach flu in babies?
Your little pup cannot express himself yet, but it is clear that he has a problem. If you suspect gastroenteritis, think of “How do I know if my baby has a cold?” The question will come. If you see the symptoms we have written below, you may think that your baby has a stomach flu and you can consult a specialist.
- Prolonged, very watery diarrhea
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- vomiting ,
- anorexia ,
- Mild fever (If the inflammation progresses, the fever rate may increase.),
What causes stomach flu in babies?
Rotavirus and noroviruses are the most common causes of stomach flu, especially in infants, which increase in the winter months. That’s why rotavirus vaccination is so important. If it is seen in the summer months, adenovirus and echoviruses can be suspected.
Babies often catch these viruses because they frequently put their hands in their mouths. For this reason, apart from precautions such as vaccination, care should be taken to clean the hands of babies.
What is good for stomach flu in babies, how is it treated?
Let’s answer the questions of ” How is the stomach cold in babies, what to do to the baby who has a cold and vomits “. When she consults a doctor with the above symptoms, her baby’s physical condition is first examined. Stool analysis will be done because diarrhea is in question. With this assay, the bacterial or viral status is examined and the disease is diagnosed. Accordingly, treatment is started.
When gastroenteritis is caused by a virus, it usually does not respond to drug treatments such as antibiotics. The most common problem is dehydration, that is, the body is dehydrated. If your baby’s body is severely dehydrated due to vomiting and diarrhea when he is admitted to the hospital, supplementation may be needed. For this reason, depending on the severity of the situation, it may be necessary to stay in the hospital for a while and receive serum. In addition, probiotic and zinc supplements can be made.
If your baby does not need to stay in the hospital, there are some methods you can apply at home. Let’s see what to do with a baby who has a cold at home?
- Again, your most important goal should be to provide your body with the salt and fluid lost by your baby. However, you should wait 30-60 minutes for your stomach to rest after vomiting and diarrhea attacks.
- After this rest period, you should add 1-2 teaspoons of fluid each time.
- If you’re breastfeeding, you should only let him suckle from one breast for 5 minutes.
- If she is formula-fed, you should prepare it as usual and feed it little by little. If your baby can hold the liquid in his stomach, you can feed him some more.
- If your baby has switched to solid food, don’t just give water. If you are not allergic to cow’s milk, it is a good option to drink ayran.
- Do not give your baby juice or puree during diarrhea. These cause an increase in complaints due to the pulp in them.
- If your doctor recommends, you can give your baby electrolyte or oral rehydration solutions that meet salt and minerals. These are easily available in pharmacies.
- It is much more important to drink fluids, but you should also make some adjustments to your food. You can have him consume light foods such as toast, rice porridge, bananas and potatoes during the period when he has diarrhea and vomiting. If you are looking for herbal treatment for stomach flu in babies, we can recommend these.
- Giving your baby liquid milk or sugary drinks can increase diarrhea.
- You need to get plenty of rest because dehydration will make your body very tired.
- You should not take medication unless your doctor recommends it. Taking aspirin, especially for mild fever, can cause serious problems such as Reye’s syndrome .
In which cases should you consult a doctor?
- If the fever is too high,
- If it seems very uncomfortable,
- If his diarrhea has become bloody,
- If he vomits for more than a few hours,
- If he has not wet his diaper for at least 6 hours and the urine color is dark,
- If the fontanelle is pitted,
- If she cries without tears,
- If you are very tired, you should definitely see your doctor. These indicate increased infection and dehydration of your baby.
How many days does a stomach cold last in babies?
A baby with a cold stomach usually starts to show itself within 1-3 days after the virus enters the body. Symptoms may be mild in some babies and severe in others. But after the symptoms of the disease appear, it can continue for 10 days. However, in the first days, the baby may have a difficult time.