Playing an important role in ovulation and regular menstrual cycles, progesterone is also important for the healthy growth of the uterus during pregnancy and the healthy birth of the baby. We talked about what progestan does, what kind of side effects it has, all the details you need to know.
What is a progestan?
First of all, let’s start with the question of what is a progestan, what is it used for.
- We call progesterone hormone supplements that are sold as pills, ampoules, injections or vaginal suppositories .
So what does progestan do ?
- Progesterone is important for regular ovulation and menstrual cycles. It is secreted during ovulation and prepares the body for pregnancy.
- It is secreted during pregnancy, making it easier for the baby to hold in the womb.
- It ensures the healthy growth and development of the uterus.
- It reduces the risk of miscarriage by preventing uterine contractions.
- It prevents premature birth by being secreted in the last trimester.
Who is the progestan drug given to?
- Those who have menstrual irregularity and ovulation problems,
- Those who are treated for infertility and IVF ,
- Those who want to have a baby but have low progesterone,
- Low risk to pregnant women who have found or multiple lower than before,
- women with polycystic ovary syndrome
- Progestan supplements are given to those who experience the effects of menopause severely.
How is progestan used?
In fact, there are many different forms of progestan use. According to studies, the amount of progesterone drugs used in the form of pills or tablets is low because the absorption rate is low. For this reason, progesterone suppositories placed inside the vagina are more preferred. In some cases, a progestant injection may also be prescribed. You also need to decide on its use according to the advice of your doctor.
What are the progestan side effects?
- Tenderness and pain in the breasts,
- Vaginal discharge,
- Cough is a milder side effect of progesterone.
Let’s answer the question, ” Does progestan make you dizzy? ” Symptoms such as nausea and vomiting can sometimes be accompanied by dizziness.
As more serious side effects;
- speech difficulties,
- Swelling and pain in the legs
- chest pain,
- difficulty in breathing,
- Conditions such as vaginal bleeding may occur. If you encounter such a situation, you should definitely call your doctor.
Since it is one of the common complaints , you may wonder if the progestan suppository causes burning in the vagina . Progestan can cause symptoms such as burning, redness, itching and discharge in the vagina.
How much progesterone to get pregnant?
Progesterone needs to be at a certain level to be able to get pregnant in a healthy way. For this, you should have a progesterone test. The results of the progesterone test performed by taking a blood sample should be between the following values.
|At the start of the period||1 ng/mL|
|In women in the middle of their menstrual cycle||5–20 ng/mL|
|in the first trimester of pregnancy||11.2–90 ng/mL|
|in the second trimester of pregnancy||25.6–89.4 ng/mL|
|in the third trimester of pregnancy||48.4–42.5 ng/mL|
|post menopause||1 ng/mL|
Does the use of progesterone during pregnancy harm the baby?
Those who use progestant during pregnancy do not have to worry about their babies. Progestan does not harm the baby and helps the pregnancy progress in a healthy way.