Baby nail cutting is one of the most difficult processes for parents. However, regular cutting is required to avoid self-harm. We know there are many problems with this. In this article, you can find answers to many questions such as when to cut baby nails and when is the best time to cut baby nails.
When are the nails of newborn babies cut?
Since you are afraid of hurting them because they are too small and because they can’t control themselves, they ask, “When is the baby’s nails cut for the first time?” question may arise. Actually, the answer to this question differs from baby to baby. Because some babies are born with long nails, some nails grow slowly. In other words, you should decide on the first nail cut according to the length or growth rate of your baby’s nails.
If your baby’s nails are long at birth, you can trim them in a few days. If it’s not long enough to cut yet, observe it and check it with your hand once in a while. You can cut it off when you notice it’s getting too long to cause trouble.
When are babies’ nails cut?
Like everyone else, your baby’s nails will grow over time and will need to be trimmed as it creates the potential for self-harm by scratching his face and eyes. But because you are afraid of hurting him and the baby will not stay calm in this situation, you may be wondering when to cut the nails of the babies and what the environment should be like. Let us give you a few tips for a hassle-free baby nail trim;
- First, get a nail clipper suitable for your baby. There is a wide variety of baby nail clippers available in the market.
- Depending on the elongation rate, you can cut every 1.5-2 weeks. Of course, don’t forget to check the condition of your baby’s nails during this interval.
- Since your baby’s nails will soften after bathing, you can perform the cutting process after the bath.
- If you can afford it, you can cut while you sleep.
- Be careful not to cut too deep to avoid infection.
- You should also be careful to cut the edges of the nails to avoid ingrown nails.
- You can clean the nail clippers with water after each procedure.
When are babies toenails cut?
Toenails of babies grow longer than fingernails, as in everyone else. So you probably won’t need to trim your baby’s toenails any less than once a month. Again, you can adjust this process according to your baby’s nail growth rate.