Having the baby drink olive oil is a method mostly used against constipation. However, the first 6 months are a very critical period in infant feeding. Therefore, the answer to the question of when to give olive oil to babies is very important. In this article, we have told you what you need to know about the use of olive oil in babies and the benefits of olive oil!
When is olive oil given to babies?
The World Health Organization says that only breast milk should be given to the baby for the first 6 months, and additional food can be given as a supplement to breast milk from 6 months to 2 years old. Babies may have constipation problems after birth because their excretory systems do not work as regularly as they should. One of the things that mothers are most curious about is whether olive oil is given to a newborn baby.
Constipation in 1-month-old babies should not be relieved with olive oil. If you are breastfeeding your baby, this problem will settle in the future. Mothers who have to feed their baby with formula during this period may wonder if olive oil is added to newborn baby food. You should not give your baby olive oil before switching to solid food . In such a case, it is best to change your baby’s formula in consultation with your doctor.
Can a baby with gas be given olive oil?
Giving olive oil to a baby who cannot poop is one of the most used methods. However, another feature of olive oil is that it is good for gas problems. prof. Dr. Canan Karatay says that putting a small teaspoon of olive oil in baby bottles or baby food is good for gas problems in babies.
Having the baby drink olive oil helps to relieve the gas problem, relaxes the baby and facilitates its growth.
How should olive oil be used in babies?
The way you adjust the amount of additional food according to your baby’s month, your use of olive oil should be likewise. You can supplement ¼ to ½ teaspoon of olive oil for every 60 milliliters of solid food you give your baby.
The olive oil you give to your baby should be cold pressed, healthy, unspoiled and completely pure. You should prefer olive oils that have not undergone any chemical or industrial treatment and have been obtained by physical means. There are many olive oils for babies on the market. The acidity of olive oil, which is the most suitable for the health of babies, should be between 0.3-0.5.
What are the benefits of olive oil for babies?
- Olive oil is a product that is widely used in skin care as well as alleviating the problems experienced in infancy. So what exactly are the benefits of olive oil for babies , let’s look at it together.
- Since olive oil is a very strong antioxidant, it strengthens the immune system of babies and protects against cancer.
- It nourishes the skin with vitamins A, D, E and K.
- It’s not right to make a newborn drink olive oil, but you may wonder if olive oil is applied to a newborn baby . Since olive oil is an acidic product, there are differences of opinion about applying it to baby skin. Although some sources say that the massage with olive oil relaxes the baby very much, it is best to consult your doctor in this regard. It is useful to pay attention to the fact that newborn skin is even more sensitive.
- Until the baby is 1 year old, you can put warm olive oil in the palm of your hand and massage your baby. After the age of 1, you can do regular baby massage with olive oil as a pre-sleep routine .
- Olive oil is also good for crusting on the scalp and eyebrows. If your baby has a host , you can apply olive oil to the crusty areas and wait before bathing.
- Experienced mothers say that extra virgin olive oil is also good for diaper rash. Massage with olive oil on the slightly reddened area can soften and relax your baby’s skin.